Fall! A favorite season for many. Preparing to enjoy their outdoor living space, is what many homeowners are doing this time of year. Snuggling up to a warm and cozy fire is the perfect way to enjoy this space. The options are now endless for enjoying roasted marshmallows and mulled wine around the fire. Stone, Brick, Wood Burning Grills, Copper Bowl Fire Pits, Fire Pit Tables, Tabletop Fireplaces, and Gel Fueled Logs are among the choices. You can base your choice on the space you have your budget and local ordinances.
Here’s a list of safety reminders to keep in mind before you break out the ingredients to make some delicious S’mores.
Fire Pit Safety Reminders
- Many communities require that fires are a minimum of 10-feet distance from your house and your neighbors’ yard.
- You have to check the direction of the wind before lighting a fire.
- Don’t use flammable fluids (lighter fluid and gasoline, etc.) to light or relight fires.
- Flammable clothing (like nylon) or any loose-fitting clothing should not be worn.
- Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the fire.
- Have something nearby to extinguisher the fire if needed like a garden hose, or bucket of water.
- Never leave the fire unattended
Safely dispose of the ashes when you’re done with the fire for the night. Once the ashes have cooled, putting them in a metal container and pouring water on them is highly recommended.
Enjoy fall and all of the favorites that come with it including a beautiful outdoor fire. Just do it safely!