When conditions are right mold can grow quickly sometimes within 24 to 48 hours. Leaving mole untreated can lead to worsening respiratory illnesses and aggravate asthma and allergies. Your basement, kitchen, and bathroom are at the greatest risk for all the bacteria growth because they are typically areas with moisture. The best way to prevent mold is to clean it regularly and minimize moisture. 

Do you need to wear protective give when cleaning moldy areas? The answer is YES, YES, and YES.  If you’re not wearing any Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), you’re inviting all of those mold spores to settle on your clothing, the area you’re cleaning, your shoes (allowing mold to travel to other areas in your home), in your eyes, and up your nose into your upper respiratory system.

It’s best to wear long-sleeve clothing. To limit your exposure to airborne mold you want to wear an N-95 respirator. Make sure it fits properly and carefully follow instructions.

Wear gloves. Gloves that extend to the middle of the forearm are recommended. If you’re using a disinfectant like bleach or a strong cleaning solution wear gloves that are of natural rubber polyurethane or PVC. Don’t touch any mold or moldy items with your bare hands. Wear goggles. Goggles that don’t have ventilation holes are recommended.PPE is essential when you try and tackle the clean up on your own.

Be sure to identify and fix what is causing the mold. Cleaning it immediately but staying safe with PPE.